Summer in Antarctica is a world of long bright days and an explosion of wildlife – the best time to visit this continent is now, with abundant penguins fattening up their chicks, seals lounging on ice floes and whales feeding around the ship. These midsummer days are not just great for photographers (with sunlight almost until midnight), but also the perfect time for camping out on the ice, and trying out some unique activities like skiing, kayaking or snowshoeing. We’ll visit the historical sites you’ve heard about, and show you a completely unique and unforgettable wilderness.
With only one crossing of the Drake Passage, our fly/sail itineraries allow you more time for exploration and getting up close and personal with the amazing wildlife Antarctica has to offer!
Dates: 27 December 2020 to 7 January 2021 (ANP135G)
Duration: 12 Days | Sail/Fly
Start: Ushuaia, Argentina
Finish: Punta Arenas, Chile (fly from King George Island)
Ship: Greg Mortimer (brand new in 2019)
- Penguin colonies alive with nest building
- Zodiac cruise amongst water-sculpted icebergs
- Step ashore the Antarctic continent!
- Visit historic huts and scientific stations
- Antarctic marine life – seals and whales
- Kayak or camp ashore for added adventure!
- See Antarctica at its most pristine!
Day 1 – Arrive Ushuaia
Arrive in Ushuaia, where you will be met by a representative of Aurora Expeditions and transferred to your downtown hotel (preferred flights only).
Day 2 – Embark the Greg Mortimer in Ushuaia
Check out of hotel and join a half day tour of Ushuaia before boarding the Greg Mortimer.
Day 3 – Drake Passage crossing
Drake Passage crossing and wildlife guidelines and biosecurity procedures briefing.
Day 4 – Drake Passage & South Shetland Islands
Nearing the South Shetland Islands and the tip of the Antarctic Peninsula. Weather permitting, we may attempt our first landing in Antarctica by late afternoon.
Days 5-10 – Antarctic Peninsula
Our experienced expedition team will use their expertise to design our voyage from day to day. This allows us to make best use of the prevailing weather, ice conditions and wildlife opportunities. Options include: zodiac and kayaking excursions to look for humpback whales, camping ashore (weather and time permitting), hiking and visits to penguin rookeries, seal haulouts and historic huts.
A sample of some of the places where we may land, hike, photograph or view spectacular wildlife incudes:
- Paradise Harbour
- Hydrurga Rocks
- Half Moon Island
- Lemaire Channel
- Port Lockroy
- Neko Harbour
- Robert Point
- Pleneau Island
- Petermann Island
- Penola Strait
- Antarctic Sound
- Cuverville Island
- Danco Island
- Enterprise Island
- Melchior Islands
- Vernadsky (Ukrainian scientific base)
Day 11 – Fly King George Island to Punta Arenas
On arrival at Frei Base on King George Island, we will disembark the Greg Mortimer and board our flight to Punta Arenas, Chile. On arrival at the Punta Arenas airport, you will be transferred to our preferred downtown hotel.
Day 12 – Punta Arenas
After breakfast, bid a fond farewell to your fellow travellers as we all continue our onward journeys.
Please note that all of our itineraries are at the mercy of weather conditions and not all landings are guaranteed. Our itineraries are flexible and will change voyage to voyage, allowing the best chance to make the most of surprising wildlife displays and unexpected opportunities.
|CABIN||PRICE PER PERSON|
|Aurora Stateroom, private bathroom||US $12,700|
|Balcony Stateroom, private bathroom||From US $13,500|
|Balcony Suite, private bathroom||US $17,100|
|Junior Suite, private bathroom||US $20,300|
|Captain’s Suite, private bathroom||US $23,60|
Activities: Sea kayaking (From US $1200pp), Photography (included), Snorkeling (From US $800pp), Alpine Trekking/Climbing (From US $1260pp), Camping on the ice (included), Snowshoeing (From US $320pp).
- Arrival transfer from airport to hotel on Day 1 (preferred flights only)
- One night’s hotel accommodation with breakfast in Ushuaia on Day 1
- Half day city tour in Ushuaia on Day 2 (lunch not included)
- Luggage transfer from your hotel in Ushuaia to ship on Day 2
- Flight from King George Island to Punta Arenas on Day 11
- Transfer to preferred hotel in Punta Arenas on Day 11
- One night’s hotel accommodation with breakfast in Punta Arenas on Day 11
- On-board accommodation during voyage including daily cabin service
- All meals, snacks, tea and coffee during voyage
- Beer, house wine and soft drinks with dinner
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell reception including four-course dinner, house cocktails, house beer and wine, non-alcoholic beverages
- All shore excursions and Zodiac cruises
- Educational lectures and guiding services from expedition team
- Access to our onboard doctor and basic medical services
- A 3-in-1 waterproof polar expedition jacket
- Complimentary use of gumboots during the voyage
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- A printed photo book produced with photos from your voyage
- Port surcharges, permits and landing fees
- International or domestic flights to or within South America, unless specified
- Transfers not mentioned in the itinerary
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Passport, visa, reciprocity and vaccination charges
- Travel insurance or emergency evacuation charges
- Hotels and meals not included in itinerary
- Optional excursions not included in the itinerary
- All items of a personal nature including but not limited to: alcoholic beverages and soft drinks (outside of dinner service), laundry services, personal clothing, medical expenses, gratuities, Wi-Fi, email or phone charges
To register your interest to join us in Antarctica for this once in a lifetime experience, click here.
Pre-departure information for this tour, click here